Nine Foods That Can Cause A Dog To Have A Seizure

Some believe that commercial dog food is at the heart of many different illness in canines, and I think it may have contributed to my dog’s seizures and may have even caused them. My belief has come about because the seizures Cory was having were lessened after we no longer fed him hard dog food or canned dog food. Finally, he ceased having seizures altogether more than five years ago, and we never had to give him an anti-seizure medication. However, are you aware of the fact that certain foods can lead to seizures or cause your dog to be sick? There are a few of these that really took me by surprise.

* Chocolate.

Nearly all pets owners are aware that chocolate can lead to seizures and to death for dogs. My dog, Cory, ate some of my son’s chocolate candy from Halloween. He had consumed quite a bit of it when Jayson discovered him, with Cory?s head deep inside the bowl of chocolate bars and his tail wagging with exuberant glee. Jayson called poison control and was advised to pour Hydrogen Peroxide liquid down Cory?s throat, which made Cory vomit. Lucky for us, I had a bottle of the stuff in the first aid cupboard! Of course, Jayson led Cory outside for this part, as it was sure to be messy. We were very lucky that Jayson found out about it soon enough so that no harm was done. If you think your dog has gotten into some chocolate, and you do not know how much time has passed, you should contact a vet right away. Otherwise, if you see your dog eating it, you can use the Hydrogen Peroxide solution. Dark chocolate is more dangerous than milk chocolate.

* Onions or Products Containing Onion Powder.

Onions have disulfides and sulfoxides in them that can lead to the destruction of red blood cells, which makes dogs anemic.

* Raw Fish is off limits.

Distinctly if you are located in the Pacific Northwest, you should know that, if eaten raw, salmon and other fish often carry a fluke and that fluke carries a bacteria that is known to cause seizures and even death in canines. The danger is completely eliminated if you cook the fish first, although you have to be careful to get all the bones out of the cooked fish before allowing your dog to eat it. I?ve been told that freezing the fish at a certain temperature will also kill the fluke & eliminate the problem, but I?m not enough of a scientist to know what that temperature is or how long the fish would need to be frozen in order to be comfortable feeding raw fish to my dog.

* Foods Containing Nutmeg

Of course, not many people would ever think to put nutmeg on their dog’s food, but it can lead to seizures, trembling, and even death. No more sharing those cookies with your buddy unless you are sure that they don’t contain nutmeg, I think you’ll be just fine on this one.

* Mushrooms can be dangerous.

Some mushrooms contain toxins that can cause problems for a dog, especially wild ones. I knew this and was alert to keeping Cory away from mushrooms on our walks. You should teach your dog the words “leave it” while he is still a puppy.

* Cat Food is not dog food.

Most dogs, including Cory, really enjoy eating food meant for cats, so this is one rule that is not going to be popular, especially in my house. It turns out that cat food is too high in protein and fats for dogs to eat. OK, maybe he can still lick the kitty?s plate, but don?t substitute cat food as meal for your pup.

* Apple Seeds are specific no-no’s.

Maybe you weren’t aware that apple seeds and pits from other fruits contain poison cyanide, and that will definitely cause seizures.

* Grapes and Raisins.

When I first learned that grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs it was at the same time I was reading a training book for dogs that actually advocated giving raisins as treats! Needless to say, the author was defensive when I contacted her with this knowledge and my concerns, stating that she had always used raisins as training treats for her dogs. You will want to do your own research and understand that these foods are questionable prior to deciding to feed raisins or grapes to your dog.

* The Whites of Eggs

You are certainly able to give your dog full eggs that include both the whites and the yolks; however, it is not safe to allow him to eat just the whites. This is because egg whites include a protein called avidin, which takes important B vitamins away from your dog’s body. The yoke seems to have an element that counteracts the avidin protein in the whites, so if an egg is eaten whole, the depletion of vitamin B is no longer an issue.
About the Author

Sandra DeMers is the author of Cory’s Story, the story of how one dog conquered canine epilepsy that will absolutely AMAZE you. Visit www.corysstory.com to learn Sandra’s secret to good canine health–you’ll be surprised to learn the truth.

Seizure First Aid Video – You Can Do This

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Archives